Showering the Mom and sometimes the Dad with friendship and love is the motivation behind a baby shower.
Many people are electing to hold the function after birth. This way the appropriate clothing can be given. It also gives Mom an easy way for many people to see the baby at one time. (This eliminates a constant stream of visitors post-birth when both mom and baby need rest.) Check with the mom-to-be to see when she would prefer a shower.
Ask the mother-to-be for a complete list of guests she would like at her shower. Once you have an idea of how large the shower will be you can start making arrangements within your budget and time constraints.
Do check our Diaper Bag Collection for a gift for the new parent.
Baby Shower Guide
TEN EASY STEPS
Who will planAnyone can host a ceremony for the new “parents to be”. It can be a family member, a friend, or a co-worker. If it is a surprise shower, then the family can help out with the guest list and gift items.
BudgetTo determine how much the shower will cost, you will need to know the number of guests, the location of the shower, the menu, what type of party favors, and how many game prizes you will need.
Guest ListOrganize your guest list by asking the parents-to-be who they would like to have at the shower. Usually, this includes friends and family, but a few close co-workers may also be invited. Get address, phone numbers, and email addresses. Decide if it will be a “girl’s only” shower or “couples”.
ThemeBaby showers are fun! Be a kid again with teddy bears and stuffed animals. Or invite couples and do a buffet or outdoor party. Whatever theme you choose, remember this will be the baby’s first party. Have fun!
Selecting the menuAlthough your menu should reflect your theme, the time of day is as important – as well as the number of guests. Make this a day of celebration for the Mother-to-be or parents-to-be, her guests, and yourself. Consider the amount of time and room available for the shower, as well as any special dietary needs of the mom-to-be and her guests.
LocationChoose a location that is easy to get to and will accommodate the needs of the party. Generally, baby sprinkles are held at the home of the host. Have an idea of how many people you expect before arranging any final details.
Select the dateThe baby shower is normally around 6 weeks before the due date. However, some mothers are electing to have the party after the baby is born. Showers are generally held on weekends. Try to make the time and day convenient for everyone including any out-of-town guests.
Selecting the timeIf most of the guests attending the shower work, then an evening or weekend shower will work best. Consider a weeknight for a change of pace if everyone lives near each other. If you choose a weekend date, plan your shower early enough in the day for all who must travel to attend. Be sure to keep in mind the Mother’s schedule (naps, doctors’ appointments, etc.).
InvitationsInvitations can range from the casual (a phone call) to the most formal (printed invitations). You decide what will work for your shower. Be sure to include all necessary contact information. Consider also including your email if you check it every day.
EntertainmentAs guests arrive, introduce them to one another. As a unique conversational item, ask your guests to wear a small photo of their child on their shirt. Who doesn’t love to brag about their child?!? Another way to break the ice is to provide name tags with a small note, such as, “I attended grammar school with Susie”. This is a sure way to start conversations. Make sure to offer your guests liquid refreshments and whatever else you have provided. Set the mood with lighted candles, flowers, and decorations. You want your guests to enjoy the day (or evening) as much as the guest of honor.
List of Baby Shower Tips
- Choose the kind of party you can do best. Accept your time, budget, and equipment limitations.
- Coordinate your invitations, decorations, party favors, and food. Create a mood!
- Plan games and activities that your guests will enjoy.
- Check your supplies way ahead of time. Linen, silver, tables, dishes.
- Select unique party favors. Personalized Party Favors
- Employ students for serving and cleanup.
- Avoid time-consuming dinners. Choose a menu with which you are familiar.
- Always overestimate the amount of food you will need. Make sure you have chafing dishes or hot plates.
- Have someone else at the party be in charge of taking pictures. Chances are, you will be busy. If you get a lot of great shots, you can make a memento album for the parents later.
- Don’t forget the guest bathroom. Add extra touches like scented soap and lotion. Keep tissue and feminine items in an obvious place.
- Clean and cook ahead of time. Do not wait until the last minute.
- Plan seating that will encourage lively conversation.
- When serving buffet style, be sure you have enough tables or lap trays.
- Create your mood through lighting, music, and decorations.
- Pay attention to your guests. Know when they are ready to move on to the next phase of the party.
- It can be a little awkward at first. A few close friends arriving early can create an instant party buzz.
- Do not wait until the last minute!
- Baby Shower Scheduling Organization
- Six weeks before the baby shower
- Set time and date with Mother-to-be
- Prepare a guest list with couple’s help so you don’t overlook someone
- If it is a surprise shower, contact the couple’s friends or parents to help with a guest list
- Reserve the date as soon as possible if you are planning to hold the shower at a restaurant
- Make or purchase invitations
- Reserve a caterer if you are using one
- Start thinking about decorations
- Four weeks before the party
- Plan a menu and start planning who will bring what (if this is a group effort)
- Decide on what games you will play and gather necessary props
- Decide on game prizes you will award and start shopping for them
- Choose your gift, as you might get so busy you forget
- Mail out invitations
- Begin your search for anything you may need to rent or borrow for the shower
- Purchase or create place cards if you will be using them
- Three weeks before the baby shower
- Take care of decorations, either buying, making, collecting or borrowing
- Ask friends to bring teddy bears or stuffed animals if this is your theme
- Purchase and wrap your gift, so you won’t forget at the last minute
- Prepare shopping list for all ingredients you need to prepare food
- Purchase and wrap favors for guests
- Make sure you have extra wrapping paper and ribbon on hand (just in case of last-minute gifts)
- Purchase prizes for games
- Designate someone to pick up the Mother-to-be
- Two weeks before the baby shower
- Make sure that you have the proper serving dishes and utensils
- Check tables and chairs to be sure you have enough
- Look over table linens and napkins (if using cloth)
- Empty coat closets so you will have a clean space to hang coats
- Confirm reservations if the shower is being held outside the home
- Order centerpieces and corsage for the Mother-to-be
- If it is being catered, contact the caterers
- If friends are bringing food, touch base with them
- One week before the baby shower
- Prepare anything that can be frozen ahead
- Call anyone who has not responded to the invitation
- Check all recipes and buy the ingredients
- Either clean your home or hire someone to do it
- If you will need extra refrigerator space, call a neighbor
- Decide what you are wearing, making sure it is pressed and ready to wear
- Check over your decorations to be sure you have everything you need
- Two days before the baby shower
- Help the mom choose a dress
- Decorate your home
- Set the table, if possible
- Wash china and crystal if needed
- Arrange transportation for any guest who may need it
- Make sure “Mom is feeling good”
- Have a footstool and pillow for “Mom”
- The day before the baby shower
- Purchase, pick up or make the rest of the food on your menu
- Check your home for last-minute cleaning
- Set up extra chairs for guests
- Check to be sure you have enough ice
- Try to set up a spot to display baby’s gifts
- Check on any last-minute details
- Have plastic trash bag ready for wrappings
- Pick up helium balloons (they’ll be fine overnight if they are mylar!)
- The day of the baby shower
- Call “Mom” and make sure she feels “great”
- If the shower is being held someplace other than your home, plan to arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of your guests
- Make sure designated driver picks up the guest of honor
- Try to have someone there to help with last-minute details
- Light candles to scent the room
- Have glassware and light refreshments available
- As each guest arrives, make sure she knows someone or introduce her to others
- Provide the mom-to-be with a footstool and a pillow for her back
Baby Shower Gift Ideas
Baby diaper bags are an exceptional choice as a baby shower gift because they are something that is needed for expectant parents.
They're available in a whole lot of different styles, shapes, and sizes to choose from which makes it a little bit confusing while choosing the perfect one. So, we've come up with some tips to select the right baby diaper bag to put into baby gift baskets.
This is the first thing that you should think about before making a purchase. There are multiple reasons why size plays a significant role.
You want a bag large enough so that all the baby’s essentials can come inside but not too large that it itself does not fit in the gift basket. You’ll have to find the right size that serves all the purpose.
The bag should allow the parents to be more organized. And what makes the organization better than pockets? Pockets allow easy access to whatever the parent might need to quickly satisfy their child. Bag nowadays come with a specialized insulated pocket for bottles, food, and more.
Sometimes we forget that price reflects the quality of a product. A quality diaper bag will last longer and the parents will remember you longer.
There are several other things that you might want to consider before making your purchase which is an article in itself. These 3 tips will help you to get started on your search for the perfect one.
Show us your love for AmyandRose by sharing this article with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Follow us on Instagram
Visit and Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Pinterest
Watch us on YouTube